Driving in the U.S.
If you plan to drive in California and/or purchase a car or other motor vehicle it is highly recommended that you get a California Driver's License.
How to Apply for a California Driver License
- Review the latest California Driver Handbook, forms, and instructions on how to apply for a California Driver License on the Department of Mother Vehicles (DMV) website.
- Read the important information on the DMV website including the California Driver Handbook, read and review sample exams. You may also be required to take a driving test.
- For faster service you may want to schedule an appointment at the DMV Office.
- Bring the following documents:
- Form I-20 for F-1; or DS-2019 for J-1; or Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition) for H-1B
- Visa in passport (Candadian citizens do not have a visa in the passport)
- I-94 Document
- Two documents that provide proof of residency in California
California State Identification Card
If you are not planning to drive, you may choose to apply for a California Identification Card, which will include your photo and date of birth information. This card can be used for identification purposes. Please review the requirements for applying for this card.
Local DMV OfficesCosta Mesa DMV650 West 19th StreetCosta Mesa, CA
Laguna Hills DMV23535 Moulton ParkwayLaguna Hills, CA
Santa Ana DMV1330 East 1st StreetSanta Ana, CA