Individual Taxpayer Identification Number [ITIN]
The Individual Taxpayer Identification Number [ITIN] is a U.S. taxpayer identification number, issued by the Internal Revenue Service [IRS]. It is for individuals who are required to have a taxpayer identification number for tax purposes, but who do not have and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number [SSN] from the Social Security Administration.
If you are required to have a federal tax identification number (or file a federal income tax return), and you are not eligible to get a SSN, you must apply for an ITIN.
Prepare Your ITIN Documents
Prepare the following items, and submit all items to the International Center:
- ITIN Verification form, completed by UCI hiring department
- Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- The International Center is not authorized to advise on the completion of the Form W-7, if you need assistance, you can make an appointment with the local Taxpayer Assistance Center.
- Copy of Passport Biographical Page
- Copy of F-1/J-1 Visa issued by U.S. Department of State
- Print your Form I-94 notated with F-1/J-1 and D/S
- Copy of Form I-20/DS-2019
- Copy of the letter or official notification from the University of California, Irvine, awarding scholarship, stipend, fellowship, or grant.
Submit Your ITIN Application to the International Center
You will submit all documents above to the UCI International Center and submit your ITIN Application. The International Center will not be reviewing your document for mistakes. You will be responsible for the items you prepare and information you provide to the IRS for your ITIN Application.
An International Student Advisor will verify your identity and provide additional required support letters for your application. The International Center will mail your ITIN application to the IRS. Processing time is 5 business days. You will receive an e-mail when your application has been mail.
ITIN Processing with the IRS
You will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your ITIN within 4-6 weeks. If you have not received your ITIN or other correspondence six weeks after applying, call the IRS toll-free number at 1-800-829-1040 to request the status of your application if you are in the United States.