New Scholar Check-In
As a new scholar [postdocs, researchers, short-term scholars, and visiting researchers], you must come to the International Center and complete New Scholar Check-In. You are required by law to complete this process so the IC can "validate" your immigration status.
When Can I Check-In?
Check-In Sessions are every week during the following times:
- Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 10am-12pm
- Wednesday 2pm-4pm
** Check-in sessions will not be available during scheduled university holidays.
What Is Required for Check-in?
- Scholar Check-In Form
- UCI Department Invitation Letter
- Proof of health insurance [check-in cannot be completed without health insurance]
- J-1 Scholar Online Orientation Receipt
- Copies of:
- Visa Stamp
- U.S. entry stamp (stamped in passport after U.S. arrival)
- I-94 record (can be printed after U.S. arrival at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html)
- Dependent Information [if applicable]
- Copies of the above listed documents for your dependents are required.
- If your J-1 is not sponsored by UCI, an approval letter for employment authorization at UCI from your sponsoring agency is required.
- If you are training/working at UCI under J-1 Student Academic Training, a DS-2019 with Academic Training notation and signed by the sponsoring institution is also required
- EAD Card [if applicable]
Where Can I Check-In?
You will need to come to the International Center [UCI Student Center, G302] to complete the check-in process.
What Happens After I Check-In?
- After you have successfully completed the check-in process, you will receive an Employment Eligibility Form from the IC which will confirm your check-in is complete. You will need to schedule an appointment and take this form to your hosting department to begin the employment process.
- You will also need to apply for a Social Security Number if you do not already have one. You can only apply for a social security after you have completed check-in at the IC.