Returning to UCI
Students who have withdrawn from UC Irvine or otherwise stopped enrollment at UCI for one or more quarters and would like to return to UCI must first be readmitted. Students resuming their programs in summer must follow different procedures (see below).
- Undergraduate Student Readmission
Contact your academic department and request a readmission application. In addition, you will need to send the Student Visa Document Request form, and the Academic Status Verification form to the International Center. Please review the forms, and attach all necessary documents to receive a new I-20/DS-2019.
- Graduate Student Returning after a Leave of Absence
- If you are returning to UCI after taking a leave of absence for only one quarter, you will be required to contact the International Center to re-activate your SEVIS record at least 30 days prior to the start of the next quarter.
- If you are returning from a leave of absence and the duration of your leave has been over 5 months, you will need to request a new initial attendance I-20/DS-2019 by completing the Student Visa Document Request form, and Academic Status Verification form. You will need to do this at least one quarter before you plan to arrive to UCI, to allow enough time for processing at the IC, and to apply for a new visa.
Obtaining Your I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) for Your Return
The process for receiving a new document reflecting your return to UCI, should be initiated approximately 3 months prior to your return to allow enough time for document issuance as well as having enough time to apply for a new visa [if necessary]. The IC will not share SEVIS information via email or fax, so please plan accordingly for your return to UCI.
- Once the IC receives your Student Visa Document Request form and Academic Status Verification form, we will review to make sure all documents [financial documents included] are thorough and correct. If there is any incomplete paperwork, this may delay the issuance of your visa document.
- After your document is issued, you will be contacted about the method of mailing you prefer. Once you have completed the necessary steps, we will mail your document, along with any additional materials we think you may find helpful as you begin your transition back to UCI.
Arriving in Irvine: Checking-In at the International Center
All returning students are required to attend a International Center Check-In Session before classes start to report your arrival to the university. Even if you do not consider yourself new at UCI, for immigration purposes, you are considered a new student and will need to complete check-in in order to activate your SEVIS record.
F-1 or J-1 students are eligible to begin working on campus at any point during the 30 days prior to their program start date.
F-1 or J-1 students who have been withdrawn for one or more quarters may not be eligible for off-campus employment, depending on the reason for the withdrawal. If you are uncertain about your employment eligibility, it is best to schedule an appointment with an IC student advisor to determine your employment eligibility.