Transfer from UCI
F-1 and J-1 Students planning to transfer from UCI to another school in the U.S. must follow an immigration SEVIS transfer process in order to maintain valid immigration status - this is called a SEVIS record transfer. You must follow this process if your I-20 or DS-2019 is currently from UCI:
- Obtain admission from a new school.
- Complete a Transfer-In Form [or equivalent from your new school], Student Check-Out form and attach a copy of your admission letter or proof of admission [to your new school] and submit to the International Center. Some admitting schools may also have their own "Transfer In" or "Transfer Verification" form. The SEVIS record must be released no later than 60 days after the last day of the last registered quarter or summer session.
- The International Center will release your record through SEVIS to the new school.
- Upon the SEVIS release date, the new school will have access to your SEVIS record and will be able to issue an I-20/DS-2019 for transfer. Your UCI I-20/DS-2019 will no longer be valid.
- Complete the transfer process at the new school. The transfer must be completed no later than 15 days from the start date on the new school I-20/DS-2019. Contact the new school’s International Office regarding the transfer completion process at that school.
Students may apply to many schools, but the SEVIS record can only be transferred to one school. Once the record is transferred out from UCI to the new school, it cannot be changed after the release date. You should make your final decision about which school you will transfer to before requesting a release of your SEVIS record.