H-4 Dependents

H-4 status is limited to spouses and/or children of H-1B beneficiaries.

  • Those who entered the US in H-4 status or who changed to that status from another non-immigrant status may remain in the U.S. until the end date noted on their last I-94 card.
  • H-4 status for children expires when they reach 21 years of age.
  • H-4 status is contingent upon the continued validity of the main H-1B employee. If H-4 dependents are physically in the U.S. and their status is expiring, they must file a Form I-539 concurrently with the main beneficiary to extend status. If they are abroad, they must apply for an H-4 visa stamp with the documents of the main beneficiary to be able to enter the U.S.
  • H-4 dependents traveling separately must take the original I-797 H-4 approval notice (if applicable), proof of relationship (e.g. marriage/birth certificate), and copies of the H-1B documents listed in the H-1B travel section for the primary H-1B employee.
  • H-4 dependents are permitted to study in the U.S., and some H-4 dependents, effective May 26, 2015, eligible for employment authorization.


Travel Signature

Request Process


Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday
9 - 11 a.m.
International Center

Coffee Hour

Every Friday 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Counseling Center, Student Services I


Subscribe to the International Center
Programs & Activities Newsletter!

Campus Climate