TN Mexican and Canadian Professional Workers

The TN visa classification is part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The TN enables Canadian and Mexican citizens to enter the United States to engage in professional business activities on a temporary basis.

The TN visa category requires that the applicant:

  • Is a citizen of Canada or Mexico. Landed immigrants or permanent residents do not qualify.
  • Enters the U.S. on a temporary basis.
  • Possesses the minimum qualifications of one of the professions specified in Appendix 1603.D.1 of the NAFTA treaty. The Appendix also stipulates the minimum qualifications for entry into the U.S. in each occupation. The most common minimum requirement is a Baccalaureate degree and licensure, if required for the profession. A foreign national must have licensure before he or she can obtain TN status.

Campus units must consult with the UCI International Center before a prospective employee enters the U.S. as a TN to determine if this is the appropriate status in a particular case.

If your department at UCI is interested in supporting a petition for you to have TN status, please ask the department to contact the International Center at (949) 824-7249 or


Travel Signature

Request Process


Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday
9 - 11 a.m.
International Center

Coffee Hour

Every Friday 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Counseling Center, Student Services I


Subscribe to the International Center
Programs & Activities Newsletter!

Campus Climate