UCI International Center

J-1 and J-2 Health Insurance Requirements

Section 1

The Department of State requires that all exchange visitors on a J visa have health insurance for the principal J-1 and all of the accompanying dependents throughout the duration of the program. As a J-1 scholar at UC Irvine, you and all your accompanying dependents are required to have medical insurance that meets the minimum J-1 requirements. You can obtain this coverage through Gallagher Benefit Services, or from another insurer or health care provider in your home country. Please check with your UCI hiring department if health insurance benefits are provided. Please note, CORE Benefits do not meet J-1 health insurance requirements.

For more information, please visit Gallagher website: https://clients.garnett-powers.com/vs/uci/.

Provide Proof of Insurance

1. Enroll in a Gallagher Health Insurance Plan

Please visit the Gallagher website and enroll in a insurance program.

2. Insurance Waiver Confirmation from Gallagher Benefit Services

If you will provide your own insurance, you will need to visit Gallagher website and submit a waiver request. To be eligible for a waiver, the insurance evidence you provide must meet the above J-1 requirements. This evidence will be evaluated by Gallagher to determine if your insurance policy meets J-1 minimum requirements.

You will need to provide proof of enrollment in a Gallagher plan or an approved waiver confirmation email from Gallagher to successfully complete New Scholar Check-In at the International Center. The International Center will not be able to complete the check-in process until you have successfully met the health insurance requirement. Scholars receiving UCI benefits do not need to provide this evidence.

Repatriation and Medical Evacuation Insurance

If your insurance is covered by UCI benefits but does not cover repatriation and medical evacuation requirement (e.g. Junior Specialist, SRA II, Lecturer, Assistant Specialist etc. EXCEPT Post-Docs),  It is mandatory to purchase this supplemental insurance for the duration of your J-1 program as stipulated on the 2nd page of your DS-2019, Section 1 (f). 

Here are some referrals for repatriation and medical evacuation policies:

  1. BETiNS International Health and Travel Insurance: https://www.betins.com/Products/Evacuation/Evacuation.aspx 
  2. A-G Administrators, Inc.:http://www.ic.uci.edu/forms/UCEnrollmentBrochure2020.pdf

It is important to give the insurance a call at 1-800-634-8628 after they receive your payment to obtain your insurance policy number.

Affordable Care Act (ACA) and International Scholars and Students

Program sponsors are required to notify J-1 visa holders that they and their J-2 dependents may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Details regarding the ACA can be found at http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights/index.html, and penalties for lack of coverage can be found at https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exemptions/fee-for-not-being-covered/.

Who is subject to ACA

  • The answer depends whether an individual is considered a non-resident or resident for tax purposes.
  • Non-residents for tax purposes are not subject to ACA, whereas residents for tax purposes are subject to ACA.

How do I determine whether or not I am a resident or non-resident for tax purpose?