You are required to update any financial changes to the International Center to meet F-1/J-1 visa status requirements. The International Center will update your SEVIS record and issue you an updated visa document.
Source of Funding
Personal and Parent Funds
- Bank statement/letter in your name, showing the available balance in your account.
- If your parents are providing financial support of your education at UCI, they must provide a bank statement/letter in their name with the available balance in their account, and an affidavit of support.
- This includes anyone who is providing financial support for your education at UCI.
- The sponsor's bank statement/letter and an affidavit of support
UCI Awards (scholarships, GSI/GSR, TA, grants etc.):
- UCI academic department must complete the financial section of the Student Visa Document Request form.
- If you are new graduate student, your admitting academic department will verify to the International Center, the amount of funding UCI will provide after you complete the New Graduate Student Request form.
Other Institutional Support/Awards:
- Letter from employer or another institution on official business letterhead including a signature showing amount, length, and purpose of support.
- Salary statements are not acceptable.
- An official letter from your loan provider that includes your name and the approved loan amount.
Bank Statement/Letter Requirements:
- Includes name of bank/financial institution
- Lists the name of the account holder
- Clearly shows the account balance
- All documents must be dated within 3 months of submission to the International Center
- Be translated into English and U.S. dollars; unofficial translations and online currency conversions are acceptable.
- Clearly shows the type of currency in the account
- Must be from accounts that can be converted to liquid cash
- J-1 Students: You must provide funding that covers the entire duration of your program at UCI.
IMPORTANT: The following types of funding are NOT accepted:
- Financial documents older than 3 months
- Income or salary statements
- Funds that are not immediately accessible
- Assets that are not in liquid form (house, car, etc.)
- Life insurance policy statements
- Pension funds
- Tax return forms or documents
Affidavit of Financial Support
The affidavit of financial support is required from any person (other than yourself) who is providing financial support for your education at UCI.
Sample Text for Affidavit of Financial Support:
To Whom It May Concern,
I (fill in name), (relationship to student), am willing and able to provide the educational and living expenses in the amount of ($$$$$) for (name of student), during their studies at UCI.”
Financial Support for Dependents (F-2/J-2)
F-1 and J-1 visa holders are required to provide financial support for any dependents who will have F-2/J-2 visas while in the U.S. If the source of funds that are provided on the visa document belong to the dependent, they will need to provide an Affidavit of Financial Support authorizing the use of these funds for educational purposes.
For J-1 Scholars Only
Scholars are required to document at least $2,000 per month, plus $500 per month for each J-2 dependent. These funds must be provided for the entire duration of your program.