UCI International Center

Financial Documentation

Section 1

You are required to update any financial changes to the International Center to meet F-1/J-1 visa status requirements. The International Center will update your SEVIS record and issue you an updated visa document.

  • F-1 students must show 9 months of financial support to obtain an I-20.
  • J-1 students (including EAP students) must show financial support for the entire duration of your program of study to obtain a DS-2019.

Protect your information

  • Be sure to redact (remove/black out) the bank account number  and any other private information (Social Security Number, other tax number, passport number, your home address) from statements.
  • If you are submitting a bank statement, only provide a copy of the page that has the total balance. Do not include transactions in your account (for example, withdrawals, deposits, spending).
  • You need to upload this information, do not email these documents to our office.

Source of Funding

Personal and Parent

  • Bank statement or letter in your name, showing the available balance in your account
  • If your parents are providing financial support:
    • Bank statement in their name
    • Letter of support from your parent(s)

Private Sponsors

  • Bank statement or letter in your sponsor's name, showing the available balance in your account
  • Letter of support from your sponsor

UCI Awards (scholarships, GSI/GSR, TA, grants etc.):

  • UCI academic department must complete the Funding Verification form.
  • If you are new graduate student, your admitting academic department will verify to the International Center, the amount of funding UCI will provide after you complete the New Graduate Student Request form.

Other Institutional Support/Awards:

  • Letter from employer or another institution on official business letterhead including a signature showing amount, length, and purpose of support.
  • Salary statements are not acceptable.

Loan Certificates/Letters:

  • An official letter from your loan provider that includes your name and the approved loan amount.

Bank Statement/Letter Requirements:

  • Includes the name of the bank/financial institution
  • Lists the name of the account holder
  • Clearly shows the account balance
  • All documents must be dated within 3 months of submission to the International Center
  • Be translated into English and U.S. dollars; unofficial translations and online currency conversions are acceptable.
  • Clearly shows the type of currency in the account
  • Must be from accounts that can be converted to liquid cash

The following types of funding are NOT accepted:

  • Financial documents older than 3 months
  • Income or salary statements
  • Funds that are not immediately accessible (including some stocks or bonds)
  • Assets that are not in liquid form (house, car, etc.)
  • Life insurance policy statements
  • Pension funds
  • Tax return forms or documents

Letter Verifying Financial Support

Letter of finacial support is required if a parent or other private sponsor is providing financial support for your education at UCI.

Sample Text for Letter of Financial Support:


To Whom It May Concern,

I (fill in name), (relationship to student), am willing and able to provide the educational and living expenses in the amount of ($) for (name of student), during their studies at UCI.”

(Print Name)

For J-1 Scholars Only

Scholars are required to document at least $2,400 per month, plus $600 per month for each J-2 dependent. These funds must be provided for the entire duration of your program.