UCI International Center

Requesting a Visa Document

Section 1

EFFECTIVE MARCH 16, 2020: The International Center will be available remotely until further notice. There will be delays in the processing of visa documents (I-20/DS-2019). Our office strongly recommends that you contact the U.S. embassy in your home country for information on visa appointments as they may also be experiencing delays.

As a newly admitted student, you must request an I-20 visa document for an F-1 Visa, or a DS-2019 visa document for a J-1 Visa from UCI International Center, if you are not a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident, or have a visa status that allows you to study in the U.S.

UCI is able to issue either an I-20 for the F-1 student visa or a DS-2019 for a J-1 Student VisaTo read more about the differences between the F-1 and J-1 visa, click here.

Undergraduate Students:

Once you are granted admission to UCI, you must SIR 'Yes'. You will be complete information by logging in to MyAdmissionsApplication@UCI for complete requirements to request an I-20/DS-2019 visa document from the UCI International Center.

Do you have additional questions? Check out the FAQS for New International Undergraduate Students.  

Graduate Students:

As a new international graduate student, you must complete the New Graduate Student Request—Student 2020-2021 packet. This packet is the first step toward requesting your new visa document (I-20/DS-2019) from UC Irvine.

Once you complete the New Graduate Student Request, you must provide your entire packet (including additional requested items) to your academic department. Your academic department will review and provide required information before sending the complete packet to the International Center. 

After the IC receives your packet from your department—and verifies that it is complete—the processing time will then be 3 weeks. 

Transferring Your SEVIS Record:

If you are currently in the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 student status and plan to transfer your SEVIS record to UCI. You will indicate your current status is submitting your request for a visa document by following the steps above. above. Completing the steps to transfer your F-1/J-1 SEVIS record can be found here.