UCI International Center

H-1B Travel Information

Section 1

Required Documents

To re-enter the U.S. in H-1B status and resume employment, you must have the following documents with you:

  • Passport, must be valid for at least six months into the future.
  • I-797 approval notice, original version (contact the UCI International Center if you do not possess the original version)
  • Unexpired H-1B visa stamp
  • Upon entry into U.S., check your I-94 Document for accuracy, and email a copy of the I-94 and most recent entry into U.S. stamp to the International Center.

It's recommended to carry the following documents:

  • Copy of your most recent form I-129 for UCI
  • Copy of your most recent Labor Condition Application (LCA) for UCI
  • Updated Employment Verification Letter verifying current employment from your department (confirming continued employment, job title, annual salary, and dates of employment as listed on your I-797 H-1B approval notice)
  • 3-4 recent pay statements
  • Original or Certified Educational Documents and English Translations (if documents are not in English)
  • Most recent CV and Publications
  • J-1 waiver and/or 212(e) related documents (if applicable)

If Your Visa Has Expired

Obtain an H-1B visa stamp at U.S. Consulate/Embassy before returning to the U.S. Present the above-mentioned travel documents to the consulate/embassy.

Additional information on the visa application process can be found online https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/employment/temporary-worker-visas.html and http://www.usembassy.gov

Plan for Additional Wait Times

If you have to get a new visa while you are abroad, the process can take six weeks or more because of security clearances. When you make travel arrangements, you and your department should plan for the possibility of these wait times. Please see Administrative Processing Information.

If You Have a Valid H-1B Visa Issued with a Prior Employer's Name

The visa remains valid until the date of its expiration. H-1B employees who change employers in the U.S. may use the previously issued H-1B visa to apply for admission to the U.S. Employees must carry all the other travel-related documents to re-enter the country successfully.