New Scholar Check-In
Department of State and SEVIS regulations require that you complete New Scholar Check-In at the International Center after you arrive in the U.S. The check-in process validates your J-1 status in order to allow you to engage in your planned activity at UCI. You must complete this within 3 business days of arrival in the U.S.
Effective March 16, 2020 the International Center will not hold in-person New Scholar Check-In Sessions. New incoming J-1 scholars will need to complete this process remotely. J-1 scholars will need to send the items below as a PDF attachment in one e-mail to email@example.com.
Documents Required for Check-In
- Review the J-1 Scholar Online Orientation and print receipt after completion
- Complete the New Scholar Check-In Form
- Proof of Health Insurance (check-in cannot be completed without health insurance) Photocopy of:
- I-94 Document (for J-1 scholar and any J-2 dependents that have arrived)
Additional Requirements (if applicable)
- J-2 Dependents
- If you have family members in J-2 visa status, you must provide the photocopy of their I-94 document
- If your DS-2019 was not issued by UCI, you must provide a letter authorizing you to be at UCI for the specific activity (research, teaching, etc.)
- J-1 Students on Academic Training must provide a photocopy of your DS-2019 with Academic Training listing UCI as the employer.
- Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
After Completing New Scholar Check-In
Upon completing new scholar check-in you will receive an International Center e-mail confirmation verifying your employment eligibility at UCI. Please present the International Center e-mail confirmation to your UCI host department and/or UCI Human Resources to complete the employment process.