UCI International Center

TN Mexican and Canadian Professional Workers

Section 1

The TN visa classification is part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The TN Professionals under NAFTA-USMCA enables Canadian and Mexican citizens to enter the United States to engage in professional business activities on a temporary basis.

On July 1, 2020, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) replaced the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The criteria for TN admission under the USMCA is the same as under NAFTA. Whereas TN admission under NAFTA was governed by the list of Professionals in Appendix 1603.D.1 to Annex 1603 of NAFTA, TN admission under the USMCA is governed by the list of Professionals in USMCA Chapter 16 Appendix 2. The appendices are identical.

See USMCA Chapter 16 Appendix 2 Professionals .

Note: The NAFTA appendix also appears at 8 CFR 214.6(c), which has not yet been updated to reflect the USMCA.

The TN visa category requires that the applicant:

  • Is a citizen of Canada or Mexico. Landed immigrants or permanent residents do not qualify.
  • Enters the U.S. on a temporary basis.
  • Possesses the minimum qualifications of one of the professions specified in Appendix 1603.D.1 of the NAFTA treaty and the list of Professionals in USMCA Chapter 16 Appendix 2. The Appendixes also stipulate the minimum qualifications for entry into the U.S. in each occupation. The most common minimum requirement is a Baccalaureate degree and licensure, if required for the profession. A foreign national must have licensure before he or she can obtain TN status.

Campus units must consult with the UCI International Center before a prospective employee enters the U.S. as a TN to determine if this is the appropriate status in a particular case.

If your department at UCI is interested in supporting a petition for you to have TN status, please ask the department to contact the International Center at internationalscholar@uci.edu .