UCI International Center

On Campus Employment

Section 1

On-Campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students may work on-campus at UCI. Immigration regulations allow you to work up to 20 hours per week during the quarter. Full-time (more than 20 hours a week) is allowed during vacation periods only. You must have a valid visa document (I-20 or DS-2019) and must maintain your immigration status. 

The Department of State requires that J-1 students receive approval from their program sponsor in order to be employed at UCI. If your DS-2019 was issued by UCI, you will need to complete the J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Authorization Request form and upload it to the Student Request Upload Tool for advisor approval before your employment start date. On-campus employment can be reported for 12 months at a time, if employment will last more than one year, you must resubmit the form above annually. A J-1 student may engage in on-campus part-time employment while maintaining good academic standing and a full course of study. If your DS-2019 was issued by another agency, you will need to contact them directly about receiving and/or reporting on-campus employment to them.

F-1 students are not required to get approval from the International Center in order to work on-campus.

In some instances you may have On-Campus Employment at an Off-Campus Site, please schedule an appointment with an student advisor at the International Center for more information and requirements.

You will complete hiring paperwork with your hiring unit. Please follow their instructions on this paperwork.