OPT STEM Extension Eligibility
To qualify for the 24-month extension, you must:
- Have earned a bachelor’s, masters, or doctoral degree from a school that is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency and is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) when you submit your STEM OPT extension application.
- Have been granted OPT and currently be in a valid period of OPT
- STEM degree has been obtained
- Work for an employer who meets all the requirements listed and will agree to the following:
- Be enrolled in E-Verify and remain in good standing.
- Report material changes to the STEM OPT student’s employment to the DSO within 5 business days.
- Implement a formal training program to augment the student’s academic learning through practical experience.
- Provide an OPT opportunity that is commensurate with those of similarly situated U.S. workers in duties, hours, and compensation.
- Complete the Form I-983, Training Plan for STEM OPT Students. In this form, employer must attest that:
- You have enough resources and trained personnel available to appropriately train the student;
- The student will not replace a full- or part-time, temporary or permanent U.S. worker; and
- Working for you will help the student attain his or her training objectives
Study in the States
SEVP STEM Extension Overview (including list of eligible fields of study)