Transfer Your SEVIS Record to UC Irvine
As an international student currently studying in the U.S. you may be eligible to transfer your SEVIS record from your current school to UC Irvine for your new program of study. The terms ‘SEVIS Transfer’, ‘Transferring my SEVIS Record’, or ‘Releasing my SEVIS Record’ are all related to this process. Below you will find the requirements to transfer your SEVIS record to UCI.
If you are currently enrolled at another U.S. institution and hold an active SEVIS record and SEVIS ID Number, you may be eligible for a SEVIS Transfer. The benefit of transferring your active SEVIS record from your current school is that your SEVIS number will remain the SAME for your new program at UC Irvine. Once your record is transferred, the immigration document you receive will include information about your new program and duration of your studies.
As a current F-1 or J-1 international student you must request the release of your current SEVIS record from your current school to UCI.
You are eligible to transfer your SEVIS Record to UCI:
- You are in valid F-1 status
- You have an ACTIVE SEVIS record
- There can be no more than a 5-month gap between schools from the last date of attendance, OR the last day of Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- The deadline for you to request a release SEVIS transfer is 60 days after the program completion date or OPT end date, whichever is later.
To be eligible for transfer your SEVIS Record to UCI:
- You are in valid J-1 status
- You have an ACTIVE SEVIS Record
- The transfer must be completed before the end date of your current DS-2019 program end date.
Steps Release Your SEVIS Record to UC Irvine
- Notify the International Student Advisor at your current school that you want your SEVIS Record transferred to UCI.
- Undergraduate Students: You must indicate that you are a transfer on your I-20/DS-2019 Request from the UCI Admissions Office. Please work with your current international student advisor to complete the SEVIS Record Transfer Process. You can complete the steps on this form with the help of a PDSO/DSO from your current school.
- Graduate Students: Please complete the last section of New Graduate Student Request. You must turn this section in with your completed packet to your academic department.
- You and your current Advisor will determine the release date of your SEVIS record. UCI can issue your visa document (I-20 or DS-2019) only after the release date.
- The processing time for your new visa document is 15 business days after the SEVIS release date.
- UC Irvine does not use a transfer-in form for students transferring into our school. If your current school needs verification of your SEVIS transfer, please contact our office by emailing email@example.com
Traveling Outside the U.S. Between Schools
If you are planning to travel outside the U.S. while your SEVIS transfer is pending, you must re-enter with your UCI I-20/DS-2019 and not the previous school's document in order to enroll at UCI. F-1 and J-1 students must have valid visa stamp to re-enter the U.S.