UCI International Center

Returning Students

Section 1

If you have withdrawn or taken a leave of absence and want to return to UCI to resume your studies at UCI, you must first be readmitted by your academic department. After you have followed the steps for Readmission to UCI, you will need to request a new visa document (I-20/DS-2019) from the International Center. 


If you will withdraw or take a leave of absence for one quarter only, you must meet with an international student advisor before your leave begins to understand the effect on your SEVIS record and visa status.

With approval from the International Center may qualify you for a SEVIS Reactivation. SEVIS Reactivation requires 30-60 days for processing and approval* by SEVP (Student Exchange of Visitor Program).
*SEVIS Reactivation, and the approval of your F-1 status is not guaranteed.

You will receive detailed instructions at a meeting with an international student advisor.

Returning Student

You should request a new visa document for your return 2-3 months before the quarter you plan to resume your studies at UCI. This allows enough time for the processing of your visa document (7 business days if you have provided complete information) and applying for a new visa (if necessary).

Contact your academic department to complete the re-admission process to UCI. After you have been readmitted you must request a new I-20/DS-2019 by completing the following forms and emailing them to internationalcenter@uci.edu

Required Documents:

Arriving in Irvine: Checking-In at the International Center

You are required to complete iNavigateUCI: International Center Online Check-In to complete mandatory activation of your SEVIS record if been absent from UCI for more than one quarter  

F-1/J-1 Employment Eligibility After Returning to UCI

On-Campus Employment

F-1 or J-1 students are eligible to begin working on campus as early as 30 days prior to your program start date.

Off-Campus Employment

F-1 or J-1 students who have been withdrawn for one or more quarters are not be eligible for off-campus employment until one academic year of enrollment has been completed. If you are uncertain about your employment eligibility schedule an appointment with an IC student advisor to determine your employment eligibility.